It was almost like you had to try to go over budget this month! Over 31 days, we spent only $1600. See what and where that got us.
TOTAL SPENT: $1600
The extra will be used to book flights to the Philippines and Indonesia since we keep missing flight sales!
AVERAGE SPEND/DAY: $25.50 each
Over the past month, we've been in both Thailand and Laos. We've cuddled with tigers; volunteered on an organic farm; attended an Akha tribe wedding party; took a boat ride through an 8km long underground tunnel; visited the caves that secured Laos' political liberty; looked over rice paddy fields at China; spotted rare Irrawaddy dolphins in the waters between Laos and Cambodia; checked out hundreds of mysterious jars outside of Phonsavan; tried, unsuccessfully, to escape ambush by tons of kids with water guns, hoses, and baby powder (Lao New Year); been thrown up on during bus rides; had chickens poop on our bags during boat rides; seen millions of bats fly out of their cave at sundown; and eaten a LOT of baguettes (none as good as back home). All through that, we've only had one serious motorbike incident! Impressive, huh?
- Crashing an Akha wedding, and having the locals try to get me drunk (quite the opposite happened!)
- Picking the vegetables that would quickly become converted to delicious meals at Mindful Farm
- Visiting the Pathet Lao caves at Vieng Xai and seeing the spoils of the Secret War
- Wandering the lantern-lit streets of Luang Prabang while munching on baguettes
- Making a tiger REALLY happy outside of Chiang Mai
- Giving back—by tutoring novice monks in Luang Prabang, teaching village children a few words of English, and simply letting the locals know how happy you are to meet them
If you enjoy our blog, please leave comments. We love hearing from you! And if you know others who are planning a trip or just like living vicariously, send them our link!