Cambodia offers one of the top sites in Southeast Asia. If you hit Angkor Wat and get down to the coast, you will see the best of Cambodia. If have more time, see our three week Cambodia itinerary below.
- If entering Cambodia from Laos, make a pitstop in Ban Lung to explore the countryside of the northeast or head directly to Kratie for a glimpse of the rare Irrawady Dolphin. See our tips on how not to do your Cambodia crossing here.
- Allow yourself at least 3 days to explore Angkor Wat and Siem Reap. If you are a long term traveler, this is a good place to chill out for a while.
- If you are looking for a unique floating village and a non-touristy bamboo train, stop at Pursat. You'll be the only traveler to get off of the bus for sure.
- Spend at least one full day in Phnom Penh in order to understand the recent genocide that informs much of today's Cambodia.
- Take a load off in Cambodia's south where you can island hop, eat amazing seafood, and spend days lazing away on a beach of your choice.
- If you have a bit more money, we heard great things about the Koh Kong Conservation Corridor, and would suggest spending time here as opposed to the northeast.
For more, see our tips for backpacking Cambodia.
Share your own itinerary tips by leaving a comment!